Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The story about how I ate tongue...

What a day.
I'm exhausted! My head hurts from trying to understand Spanish.
I'm actually starting to wonder if I've really been learning 
Spanish all these years. Cuz what I'm hearing on the 
street doesn't sound anything like what I've heard in class.

They should tell you that.

(I know, I know, I lived in Spain, I should know that's how it is.
But, give me a break, it's been 2 years!)

But, we're headed to BRAZIL tomorrow where I do not understand Portuguese!
And it's supposed to be a high of 74 beautiful degrees...
which sounds like heaven compared
to the high of about 50 that we experienced today.
Anyway I'm extremely excited for RIO DE JANEIRO!

But, on to my story....
So the other night a group of us went to a restaurant in Valparaiso that 
our tour guide recommended us.
Let me just start off by saying that my food vocabulary isn't the greatest.
They have very different food preferences in Spain
that I could tell you all about.
However, that doesn't do me any good here in Chile.

So, we're looking through the menu and I pick something that
says it has shrimp, Parmesan cheese, cooked in olive oil, 
with one other word that I don't understand.
I go on to order this thinking that one word is not a big deal...
and this is what comes out:


Which isn't what I was expecting,
but I'm used to that by this point in my trip.
So I start stirring through it and I'm like what are THESE?!
and pull out a long pink thing that resembles a tongue...
We asked the waiter and sure enough, he said lengua.
Which means tongue.


I was a little hesitant to eat this tongue.
What kind of tongue is it?
Whose tongue is it?
Who knows?!
(Don't worry, I got brave and tried it.
It was just extremely hard to chew and didn't have much flavor.)
But what really freaked me out next was the long black hair I found
swimming in the soupy dish.
That and the tongue pretty much ruined my appetite.
I showed the waiter and he brought me something else out.

By then I just really wanted a cheeseburger.

Crazy Chileans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you tried tongue! Ewe! I'm kinda glad you found a hair and didn't eat any more! Good luck on your menus in Brazil!
Love Mom