Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Little Update/Some thoughts

Well, there hasn't been much time for blogging lately. 
Last week happened to be finals week, 
move-out-of-my-apartment week, 
and busiest week of the year at work with the local university's graduation and Mother's Day.
(I have the lovely job of being a server at a steak and seafood restaurant.)

Just when I thought I might drop dead from exhaustion, I started school again Monday. 
Ahhh, gotta love it...
On the bright side, I love my new classes,
they're only 3 weeks long,
and when they're over I'll be jetting off to South America!

I'll be writing a lot more about that soon.
But for now, I wanted to write about a post that I read this morning that I've been thinking about all day.

This post by Laura at A Diary of Little Things and Curiosities.
I'm telling you, that girl has a way with words. 
These two paragraphs really struck me because
I went through all of this not all that long ago (about a year and a half ago)
and I bet almost everyone has felt exactly the same way 
at some moment of his or her life:

"Yes. I, too, have been brokenhearted. And, well, truth is, I sometimes miss who I was then. No, I don't miss the desperation. I don't miss being the girl who moved through days as a shell of a person, a shadow of her former self. I don't miss the dull ache, the feeling of walking in a haze, the sensation of being in pieces--in fragile, sharp-edged pieces I didn't recognize.

What I miss is the fearlessness that emerged from the ruins. That feeling of having nothing, nothing at all, to lose. When you're heart is broken, you find and embrace an intimacy with yourself, a closeness to your own spirit, a kind and compassionate self-love that you can later forget to nourish. And in those most gut-wrenching hours of my own heartache, I remember turning inward, and to music, and to literature--toward any place where I knew I'd feel understood. Where I could find, if not the answers, then at least the most important and most compelling questions."
 
I remember searching and searching for anything that
helped me feel understood and helped me know that things would get better.
Because, I was certain at times that I would never feel better.
It's funny how dramatic it seems now...
I'm normally not a very dramatic person,
but I can honestly say that heartbreak makes you feel like you've gone crazy.
And maybe for awhile you do.
 
So for any of you going through this right now, 
I know it's hard, but it gets better.
One day you'll be like Laura and me and millions of others
who have experienced the same things
and look back and say, 
"I wouldn't want to go through that again, but now I know I can make it through anything."
 
And you'll realize that you're stronger, and more compassionate, 
and slowly you'll understand why you went through all those "gut-wrenching hours".
Because you learned so much and are a better person because of it.

"This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something."
-Liz Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you have all of that craziness behind you and that you're loving your new classes! It seems like it never ends doesn't it?

Jenni Austria Germany said...

why am i living in europe? SA seems to be where it's at, these days.

Danielle said...

No way! I love Europe! Even though I'm going to SA I'm kinda sad I'm not headed to Europe this summer...it was becoming tradition!