Sunday, April 25, 2010

Grass Therapy


I played on a competition soccer team when I was 12 till I was 18. My team was lucky enough to have the same coach throughout all these important years of growing up. More than just teaching us how to play soccer, he focused on helping us become better people. He taught us so many different things from how it was important to be on time when people are counting on you,to communicate as a team,to work through problems instead of ignoring them, to have fun together, to be honest and hardworking, and a million other things.I have a lot of respect for him still today even though it's been a few years since I've seen him. I've been thinking a lot lately about something he taught us called "Grass Therapy". He always told us if we made a mistake on the field, or if something didn't go as well as we would have liked it to that we should to try to learn something from it, then bend down, pick a handful of grass, and throw it. Just let the grass catch in the wind and blow away. And then don't think about the mistake/disappointment again. Just let it go

This semester has been a huge learning experience for me. I moved back up to school after studying abroad and living at home for a year. I came back after a pretty rough heartbreak (I hate that word, but really can't think of any other way to say it) and have had to readjust to college life, living on my own, and juggling school, work, and social life (usually in that order, unfortunately). I've had my ups and downs but it's been so good for me. It's still hard going home though...there's a song called "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts that says it perfect, "But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong. I'm movin' on." I decided that since this semester is ending, it's the perfect time for a little Grass Therapy. Now that I've learned from all my experiences, I can grab that handful of grass, throw it into the wind and never get hung up on those mistakes/disappointments again.  
Just let it go...I'm movin on
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been going through some big changes as well! I think I could use a little of your grass therapy right about now ;o) Glad you're in the process of letting go! Sometimes, getting there is the hardest part.